14.4.11

I looked out the window and what did I see?

Since its April and all the blossoms are supposed to be coming into season, I thought we'd start off with one of my favorite popcorn recipes.  It really is so easy that my 7th graders can do it.  I've been using this recipe in their class since I first started teaching 14 years ago.  It had a really lame name so I had a contest to see who could come up with the best name and this is what they voted on.  So.... (big drum roll, please) I present you with
POPSCOTCH
5 cups popped popcorn* (hint- do NOT use microwave popcorn or any kind of buttered popcorn)
1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup white corn syrup
3 tbs peanut butter

In glass mixing bowl, combine butterscotch chips, peanut butter and corn syrup.  Stir together well.
Place glass bowl in microwave and cook on high for 2 1/2 minutes. * Using hot pads, remove bowl from microwave and set on counter.  Stir until smooth with wooden spoon.*  Pour mixture over popcorn and fold until popcorn is coated.

* It takes 1/2 cup of unpopped kernels to make 5 cups of popped.
* This time is for microwaves that run at 1100 watts.  Most do these days.  Look on your microwave door to find out what your oven is.  If its more, then decrease your time by 30 seconds.  If its less, then increase your time by 10 seconds.  You might have to play with the time to ensure the sauce is creamy.
* The chips won't be melted and you'll be tempted to cook it longer.  DON'T.  If you overcook high sugar foods, they become harder as they cool and you'll ruin the recipe. 

Hope you enjoy this!  I've had students email me from their missions to ask for this recipe haha  They love it and I hope you do, too!

4 comments:

Brenda Bowen Wright said...

So I can't wait until you totally blog a recipe from or about my kitchen cooking experience - this blog is way totally cool!

Sunshine said...

Me likey.

Patti said...

You need a "like" button! My kids talk about this recipe - they love it!

utahmla said...

I meant to tell you at our meeting. I tried this recipe. It was so yummy and easy. Love this blog of yours!