1.7.11

Happy 4th of July weekend Baked Beans

Let's be honest.  You'll probably be at one or more family gatherings this weekend and you'll probably be bbq-ing some type of pork product resembling a hot dog.  You'll need something to wash it down.  So here's my very own recipe for Baked Beans.  I can honestly say that its mine because its a  tweaked combination of about 3 others until I've reached what I think is Baked Bean perfection.  Enjoy!
Baked Beans
Ingredients:
4 cans Bush's Original recipe Baked Beans*
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
1 pound bacon, cooked and chopped**
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well. ***  Pour into a 9x13 baking pan.  Bake covered at 325 degrees 2-3 hours.  Stir every 45 minutes or so.  Serve hot.

* I have also been known to use regular old pork and beans as a base.
** You can use precooked bacon but I prefer fresh.  I think the grease adds some flavor (ignore the extra fat its adding...)
*** I have a deep stoneware 9x13 and just mix everything in there.  OR you can cook it in a 5 qt crock pot on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.

No comments: